The A70 Hampshire was introduced in September 1948 as the replacement for the Austin Sixteen. It had a 2.2 litre 4-cylinder engine and was very similar to the smaller A40. The Hampshire extended Austin’s ‘Counties’ theme for naming new cars that had been introduced with the Devon and Dorset. The A70 name was based on the 70 bhp power output of the engine.
The Hampshire was succeeded by the A70 Hereford.