Jaguar

Swallow Sidecar Company in 1922-1948

Jaguar Car Limited, Coventry, England. 1948 to date

William Lyons set up business producing high quality sidecars under the name “Swallow Coachbuilding” (later SS Cars ltd) in 1931. They soon switched to designing and building handsome and sporting bodywork for Morris, Austin, Fiat, Swift and Standard. The Jaguar name was first used in 1936 on a beautiful 4-door sports saloon. In 1945 the name of the company was changed from SS Cars Ltd to Jaguar Cars Ltd. Became part of BMC in 1966, then BMH and then British Leyland. Independent until 1990, when Jaguar were bought by Ford. In 2008 they sold Jaguar (and Land Rover) to Tata Motors. Since then Jaguar Land Rover Limited has been an independent subsidiary.