Ferdinand Porsche started to produce cars of his own in 1948. The first series of about 50 cars was manufactured in Gmünd, Austria. Porsche had moved from Stuttgart to Gmünd during the war for safety reasons. Real production of the 356 started after Porsche returned to Stuttgart in 1951. Initially not their own premises but to a plant owned by coachbuilder Reutter.
The Porsche badge shows the arms of the city of Stuttgart set against those of the state of Baden-Würtemburg. It was first used on the 356 steering wheel boss in 1953.