Rover P4 (1949-1964)
The P4 was based on a design for Studebaker by Raymond Loewy, famous for his streamline shapes. It was announced in the Autumn of 1949. Although the body was completely new, much of the chassis was P3. The P4 75 had the traditional Rover 3-lamp configuration at the front, which earned the car the nickname of Cyclops. The engine was basically the P3 2103 cc six-cylinder in-line unit, but now fitted with an aluminium cylinder head.
The P4 model appeared in the course of the years as the 60, 75, 80, 90, 95, 100, 105, 105R, 105S, and 110.
The Cyclops feature was dropped in 1952, mainly as it was found to cause serious cooling problems.
|1949 Rover 75||Specification|
|Engine||Straight 6, 2103cc|
|Power||76bhp @ 4200 rpm|
|Top Speed||130 km/h|
|Acceleration||0-60 mph (0-96 km/h): 15.9 s|
|Chassis||Separate chassis, aluminium doors, boot lid and bonnet|
|Suspension||Independent front, live axle rear|
|Brakes||drum front and rear|