Hillman Coatalen, Coventry, Hillman Motor Car Co Ltd; Chrysler United Kingdom Ltd; Peugeot-Talbot. 1907-1976
Member of the Rootes Group since 1928.
The first Minx appeared in 1932. At first designations were referred to as a different “Phases”. This was later changed to “Mark”. The redesigned “Series” Minxes were introduced for the 1957 model year.
Elva began as a sports/racing car, powered by Coventry-Climax or Ford engines. The first road-going car was produced in 1958. This was the Courier.
The 2-litre Elva BMW GT 160 was designed by Fiore of Paris and the aluminium coachwork was by Fissore of Turin. The car was extremely low – it stood just 40 inches (1 metre) high. Powered by a 1991 cc dry-sump BMW engine it was capable of a top speed of 160 mph (257 kmh). A glass-fibre version was to be made available for the UK market.
In 1964 Elva was taken over by Trojan Ltd. and production ceased in 1969.
Bristol was established in 1910 and manufactured aircraft. After the war production shifted to automobiles. The first Bristol cars were British versions of the famous BMW 328 which they manufactured under licence. Bristol have always manufactured fast, expensive touring cars, built to high standards.
Bond produced their first 3-wheeler in 1948/1949. The first models were fitted with Villiers 2-stroke motorcycle engines. In 1965 the two-strokes were replaced by Hillman Imp units, mounted in the rear. In 1970 Bond introduced the Bond Bug, an entirely new design by Tom Karen, featuring a hinged roof instead of doors. The engine was a 4-cylinder 701 cc unit that delivered 29 hp at 5000 rpm. Bond also produced some nice-looking sports cars between 1963 and 1971 called the Bond Equipe.